Toronto’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Lawn Bowling Society
Step 1. Renew your membership
Step 2. Book a rink
Step 3: Pack your bowls bag
Don’t forget: a mask
a teatowel, a pen, and a water bottle.
As with everything we love doing, lawn bowling has a different feel this summer—quieter and gentler. What are other summers like for Rainbowlers? This is how we roll:
We welcome players of all stripes and skill levels, and you can join at any time during the bowling season.
1. Rainbowlers membership
• “Jitney” style games every Wednesday evening—you’ll never have to put a team together or find spares. (What’s a jitney?)
• Post-game socializing at Sophie’s, the pub down the street.
• Flip-Flop LGBT Lawn Bowling Tournament, North America’s first and finest LGBT lawn bowling tournament.
• More special events through the summer.
2. Cosburn Park Lawn Bowling Club membership
• Feel like bowling this Tuesday? You can bowl as much as any other member. The club’s schedule is changing frequently this summer, and there are bowling opportunities on most days.
• Despite the restrictions on gathering, Cosburn remains a vibrant, caring community.
3. Ontario Lawn Bowling Association membership
• Although most tournaments have been cancelled this season, in other years you can enter OLBA-sanctioned tournaments at clubs across the province. Some of our favourites include the Royal Canadian Yacht Club’s open triples tournament in July, Milton’s bowl and curl tournament at the end of September, and any tournament at Balmy Beach.
4. Skills development
• If you need a few pointers or some help improving your skills at any time, club-level coaches are available every Wednesday.
Are you just here for the fun, not to become the next Nick Brett? Don’t worry; we strongly discourage uninvited coaching during Wednesday games. We know many people want no more coaching than some initial instruction to learn the basics.
Lawn bowling takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master. I’ve met so many great people at Rainbowlers!
As a child, I dreamt of going to the moon. While I never got a chance, lawn bowling is a close second.
Socializing with a lovely group of people, drinks at a great dive bar, dirty jokes about the weight of your bowls.